How to Backup and Restore Your iPhone with iCloud
Nowadays when many of us have multiple digital devices in order to conduct our business or with which we connect to the internet, iCloud helps us to keep these devices synchronised. In other words iCloud is Apple’s cloud storage service with which digital data such as documents, photos, and music is stored on remote servers ensuring that the user has full access to data for download to iOS, Macintosh or other Windows devices, which they can then share and send to other users as well as manage their Apple devices. One of iCloud’s main features is the ability to sync and restore an iPhone with iCloud.
Part 1: Steps to enable iCloud backup on iPhone.
1. What needs to be done is to connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network
2. The second step is to tap Settings > iCloud > Backup; iOS 8 and later or tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup for older models; iOS 7 or earlier. It is important here to be sure that iCloud Backup is definitely active.
3. Once Back Up is turned on Tap Back up Now. Make sure to stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process is 100% complete.
4. To be sure process is complete check back up by tapping Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, and then selecting the device of choice. The most recent back up should appear along with the details of the time and backup size.
Besides manually backing up the info on your device, iCloud automatically saves what’s on your device once a day when your devices are turned on, locked, and recharging. But what exactly does iCloud back up? The information on your devices:
- Purchase history for movies, music, apps, TV shows, and books, however, it does not save the content you have bought only information on the content. If you need to restore your purchase, you download it automatically from the “Store”.
- Photos and videos in your Camera Roll
- iOS settings
- App data
- Home screen icon layout and folders
- App organization
- Messages including iMessage, SMS(text messages), and MMS messages
- Visual Voicemail
- Health Data
Part 2: Restore from iCloud and replace all existing data.
Restoring data from iCloud can be especially useful when buying a new device with which you want to access your data from your previous device. It can also be useful when restoring a factory reset phone.
Restoring data is done like so:
1. On your iOS device, Tap Settings > General > Software Update and follow the onscreen instructions.
2. For an iOS 8 device: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage> device (listed under Backups). For an iOS 7 device: Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage, choose a device listed under Backups.
3. Find Setup Assistant> Tap Set up your device >Restore Backup >Sign in to iCloud.
4. Once signed in “Choose backup,” from a list of the available back-ups, that have been saved to iCloud.
5. The iPhone would start restoring and it would only take a few minutes.
6. After your device restarts, your settings and accounts have to be restored and Backup will start after downloading your purchased music apps,, TV shows, Camera Roll, books, and other content is restored completely.
Part 3: Selectively restore files from iCloud.
Loosing data happens from time to time and as we all know losing important data can be upsetting in the least or in the worst case scenario devastating when it comes to business related information. And, even though many of us have lost important data we still tend to store these on our Smartphone or mobile device without thinking of the repercussions losing such info will bring.
Even though you can restore your device from the iCloud backup to get the files back, you will lost all existing data on your phone during the complete restoring. This is where Syncios Data Recovery for iOS comes in. You can choose to selectively recover files from iCloud backup, without losing existing data on the phone.
1. After start Syncios Data Recovery on your computer, select "Recover from iCloud Backup File" mode. Enter your i iCloud account and password to login.
2. After you log in your iCloud, the program will list all the related backup files in this account. Choose the one you are going to recover files from and click on Download.
3. On the popup window, you can select the file types you would like to download. Then click on Scan.
4. Once the scan is completed, you can preview the files you would like to recover. Tick the items you want to recover and click on Recover to computer or Recover to iPhone button.
Now contacts, messages and notes can be directly recovered to your iOS device if your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is connected with your computer with a USB cable during the recovery process.
What can't be backed up by iCloud?
iCloud doesn't back up data already stored in iCloud, such as contacts, bookmarks, notes, reminders, calendars, mail messages, app documents, apps, music or other media not purchased from iTunes, photos originally synced from a computer, podcast and audio books. Apps are not included in the iCloud backup. Your device backup only includes apps data stored on your device.
Does it means that when I accidently deleted or lost notes or other media on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, I can't find them with iCloud backup?
Not absolutely, you can find them on iOS Data Recover, not only notes, but also contacts, bookmarks, reminders, calendars, video, whatsapp messages, photos, etc. This is an intuitive, easy to use iOS data recovery tool designed for recovering your lost data on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.
Syncios iOS Restore Tool is a very useful and convenient tool for Apple devices like iPad, iPhone and iPod to restore data. It can not only restore data on pc to iOS device, but also restore iTunes backup and files in its library to iOS without using iTunes. What's more, iCloud backup can be restored to iPhone as well and other functions of Syncios iOS Restore Tool will not let you down, like transferring music, videos and so on between iPhone and pc. You will not regret to download it once you have used it.
Maybe you are interested
You may also want to know
- How to Authorize or Deauthorize Your computer in iTunes?
- How to find and view iTunes Backup?
- How to Share iTunes Library on A Home Network?
- How to Fix iPhone Red Screen Problem
- How to copy everything from old Android Phones to new iPhone 6S/Plus?
- How to Sync Contacts from old iPhone to iPhone 6S/6S Plus?
- How to add Epub/PDF from pc to iBooks?